11 October 2009

To Craft a Plot from Nothing.

Where to begin, where to begin? Ah. A MacGuffin, perfect idea me, a nice taste of coherent plot structure before I hit them with a complete lack of understanding of history, physics, or whatever other science I will choose to punch during my little jaunt.

To explain this MacGuffin, hence force simply titled the MacGuffin (not my idea, blame the writer’s obsession for that name, he insisted.), I will need to establish the nature of the universe I rule. It is a simple one, almost, but not quite, entirely like the universe the writer has only a passing knowledge in. The major difference is in the facets of the universe, I can see from here three different mutations along font of ideas the writer calls his mind, contorting to the bastard offspring of cyberpunk/fantasy novels; the combination of Star Wars novels, Larry Niven, and Dan Simmons that makes for a place with jedi and Odysseus; and Jeopardy/The Lion King. Well, I’m going to pretend I didn’t see those and just start with the story of the MacGuffin canon.

This universe has functional magic, in that it has one artifact, the MacGuffin that can perform feats of magic. That keeps it simple. The universe, though I will probably never have to use this bit, also has the possibility for Star Wars Hyperdrive level speeds, just because the damn writer can’t live without that cop-out. It also contains a personal, “Rule of Fictional Death Sequences,” in which I reserve the right to keep people alive for as long as I wish after death, mostly because I see the advantage of that plot wise, but in some reasoning as I don’t want it set in stone how long it takes a henchman to die from beheading, just to keep my heroes guessing.

Now, the MacGuffin’s magic, the artifact of such power an might it is named after the cliché used to describe it. The MacGuffin is a gun that shoots, fuck it, it is a wish fulfillment artifact, and it can make anything happen to the wielder. It is also an orange party hat, with a clock stapled to it.

The MacGuffin is sought by multiple factions, one of which I choose to focus on for this length of discussion, a faction I will now declare to be Chaotic Evil (look it up if you don’t get it), the World Freedom Expanders. The group is headed by a man simply know as Mr. -------, his name is known only to himself, and myself.

Mr. ------- has the appearance of the Monopoly man, and chose to cultivate this look to allow him to inspire even more confusion in his enemies, and world is full of his enemies. His group seeks to end all government on planet Earth, and if I my stories head in the direction I know the writer wants it to, on other planets as well.

Mr. -------‘s group is primarily antagonized by the Church and Army of the Status Quo (A Subdivision of Catholicism), an organization that wants to find the MacGuffin and either destroy it or hide it deep within the Vatican vaults to protect the public from the temptations of magic that isn’t of their design, or something, their pamphlet is a dry read. The Church and Army is much better fund, but the least fun group to focus on, not only because they don’t fail, they also actually have some sort of structure beyond, one gun yells at a bunch of hapless henchmen.

Which transfers nicely into Evil Inc. Corp. Ltd. A group of nutcases run by a hilariously megalomaniacal nitwit. The company previous to the nitwit’s involvement was known as North Atlantic Oil.

So, in summation, the MacGuffin, a party hat of infinite magic potential; Evil Inc. Corp. Ltd, drunk villains; The Church and Army of the Status Quo, cultists, ehhhhh; and World Freedom Expanders.

Now, to find the viewpoint character…

1 comment:

Vinny K said...

haha Loved the North Atlantic Oil comment. Keep em comin'.